February 22, 2022 – The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) received a report from the Department of Correctional Services (DCS) advising of an allegation of assault of an inmate at Tower Street Adult Correctional Centre (TSACC). The incident occurred on Monday, February 21, 2022 and involved an altercation between at least one correctional officer and an inmate, identified as Leroy Russell otherwise called Tommy Lee Sparta.
INDECOM has commenced an investigation into the report received. The immediate investigative steps to be conducted by INDECOM Investigators are:
- Interview the complainant (Leroy Russell);
- Collection of medical entries and reports to appreciate the extent of the injuries received by both parties (inmate and correctional officer);
- Conduct witness canvassing at TSACC to ascertain the circumstances that resulted in the injury to both parties;
- Ascertain the number of correctional officers that were involved in the incident;
- Collection of evidentiary material; and
- Serve Section 21 Notices, pursuant to the INDECOM Act, to any concerned officer (correctional officer) for the submission of a statement in relation to the incident.
The Commission is aware of the high public interest and media reports of this incident, and will provide an update at the appropriate time.