June 21, 2018 – The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) is investigating the alleged assault of two security guards and a civilian at the Falmouth Hospital on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at approximately 9:00pm. It is alleged that pepper spray was used by a member of the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) after he and three other officers were denied access to a ward to visit a colleague, as visiting hours had ended.
INDECOM has undertaken the following actions:
- taken an initial statement from the security guards;
- the concerned officers have been identified as officers from the St. James Division;
- the diary entries relating to the incident were collected;
- preparations are being made to serve notices to the concerned officers to be interviewed; and
- arrangements are being made to record a statement from the other civilian who was affected by the actions of the officer.
Any other person who was in the vicinity of the incident on Tuesday night is being asked to make contact with the INDECOM Western Regional Office at (876) 940-2310, or call our mobile number 1-876-878-0167. Persons are also encouraged to call our Toll Free Incident and Tip Lines: 1-888-935 -5550 (D) or 1-888-991-5555 (F).