An Attorney-at-Law, practicing since 1996, Mr. Hugh B. Faulkner was appointed as Commissioner of the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) on July 29, 2020.
Mr. Faulkner availed his legal training to the Administrator General’s Department, Kingston Legal Aid Clinic, and Executive Director for the Legal Aid Council which he served for 12 years (November 2008 to July 2020). At the Legal Aid Council, the cadre of lawyers expanded significantly, three (3) Mobile Justice Units commenced operations, Justice Fairs and Justice of the Peace training were initiated and the expansion of expert witness availability for clients of legal aid, during the tenure of Mr. Faulkner.
Mr. Faulkner is a past member of the Teacher’s Appeal Tribunal, former Chairman of the Copyright Tribunal and a member of the Expungement Panel.
The Senior Counsel has served on numerous Boards, including:
- The Toll Authority of Jamaica as Chairman;
- The Mico University College;
- Jamaica Intellectual Property Office;
- Jamaica Mortgage Bank as Chairman of the Governance & HR Committees;
- Public Broadcasting Corporation of Jamaica (PBCJ);
- Jamaica Social Investment Fund (JSIF); and
- Legal Aid Council
Mr. Faulkner is a past student of:
- Munro College, St. Elizabeth;
- University of the West Indies – Mona;
- Faculty of Law, Cave Hill, Barbados; and
- Norman Manley Law School
In the mid 1980’s to early 1990s, he was a recording artiste, performing under the moniker, ‘Hugo Barrington’. He also founded the “Professionals in Cabaret” Concert series.